Update: August 14th - The EAP is now closed and the feature will become generally available soon.
Authenticated visitor support in the Chat widget will allow businesses to get even more functionality out of the Chat widget, such as:
- Ability to have higher confidence and security that the visitor/customer you or your agents are talking to is the real deal
- Support for cross domain traffic. If you are embedding the widget on multiple domains or link to externally hosted services (ex. Shopify), authenticating the visitor will make it one visitor across the domains to the Chat platform which allows your agent to have more context and for conversion tracking to be more accurate
- Support for cross device/browser identification. The visitor can be viewed as the same person if or when they choose to use a different device or browser when the custom ID is specified in the authentication call.
- It will be the foundation for future enhancements to the Chat widget, with some upcoming changes to be announced in Q2.
Prerequisites for Early Access
To get early access to the authenticated visitors functionality, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- You are using the Chat standalone widget on your website (Web Widget support will be coming later)
- Account is on a paid Chat plan
If you are interested in using authenticated visitors and want to be part of the early access program, please fill out the sign up for here.
Once you are part of the early access program, you can post questions or feedback in the early access program community topic here.